Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My First Post

So I've been thinking about/wanting to do this for about 9 months now and I keep on forgetting/putting it off. Well, now it's past midnight and I find myself unable to sleep and thinking of only this silly blog that I've been meaning to set up but haven't yet. So here I am. Starting my blog.

Why do I want to do a blog? Well, I like to write, for one. But I also think I'm about to embark on a crazy journey that will bring laughter, tears, and many other emotions I don't even know about and I think I'd like an outlet for all these experiences. You see, I'm about to be a mom in less than 1 month! To a BOY! This is a crazy thing because the only boy I've ever lived with is my husband, David, who I'm sure you'll get to know quite well as I write about him, and I have NO IDEA what to do with a little boy. This in and of itself (raising a son) I figure will give me enough ammo to write about for quite awhile. I grew up with two younger sisters, too, so even my mom doesn't have a clue what to do with a little guy running around....eventually running around.

I wish I had started this when I first got pregnant (my original goal) so that I could have talked about being pregnant. It hasn't been wonderful as some forgetful moms may relay to poor, unsuspecting, naive girls. It has been easy for me, thank God, but it's not pleasant. It's uncomfortable, not glamorous, not fun, not normal. In short, it's nothing really that I thought it would be, but apparently, not too long from now, I'll forget all about it and want to do it all over again. When I start thinking about doing this again, remind me to read my first post. Seriously.

So, I'll just start by talking about what happened today. We met our pediatrician and did a hospital tour. The pediatrician visit was non-eventful because we're going to use one of our friends so we didn't really have any serious questions for her, except for questions about the circumcision because, again, I have no idea what happens with a boy and I'm really nervous about that. More to come on that topic later....apparently approximately 1 day after he's born, to be exact. I'll let you know how it goes. The hospital tour, however, was pretty fun. Well, fun meaning it gave me something to look forward to all day, got me out of the house, and I got to talk to other pregnant moms and find out some more information, all of which I seem to be craving lately. I ran into two sorority sisters at the tour who are both having their second child, so they were really sweet and gave me some tips and stuff. It was good to see them--I didn't even know they lived here! Anyways, David was really cute during it. He was thinking of all these good questions to ask and really into it. It's the first time I've seen him preparing for the baby (besides the obligatory hanging shelves on walls and cleaning out the garage so that I can park inside on rainy days and we don't have to get wet). He's so practical and unemotional, it was neat to see him excited in his own small way. He read all the literature they gave us and then, of course, assigned me to the task of making sure I have all the paperwork ready to go that the literature said we'd need. I, of course, don't remember what that was, so I'll have to read the stuff too. (My memory, another thing I miss dearly).

Anyways, I'm pleased with where we'll be delivering. It's a new hospital and I think it'll be a good place to do what we have to do. The nurses seem really nice and helpful, and all the rooms, except the "triage" room, which David says we need to avoid if possible, are all really big. Plus, room service is included! Really? I'm excited about hospital room service? Ugh.

After the tour, I was starving so we went to eat at a stupid Mexican chain restaurant that we didn't like, and then on the way home, David asked what sign our little guy was going to be. I don't keep up with any of that, (although I do know I'm a Virgo), so I told him I'd look it up online when we got home. So I did and here's what we found out: Our son will be a Scorpio, and if he follows what the website says, he'll be "private and mysterious." Hmmm....we'll see what that entails I guess. The website also informed David and me that as a parenting team, it would be hard to find two people as "sensible, practical and serious" as the two of us. Hmmm again....David patted himself on the back for this one. I, however, became a bit concerned that we may be too rigid for our little one. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Okay, that's enough writing and reading for now. I have a lot to say, as you can tell......See you later!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment