Friday, June 14, 2013

As the world turns...

It's so easy to get caught up in my day to day life, worrying about this, thinking about that.  And then I'm always quickly reminded of how lucky I am and how blessed I am and how some people deserve to be more blessed than I am but have to deal with things extremely tough, and they manage to show grace under pressure and somehow smile through it all.  I don't know how to be that tough.  I'd like to learn, though.  I'd like to take some lessons from these people.  I have a feeling it starts with God and goes from there.

So who most recently struck a cord with me?  A sweet family named the Hanner's.  Jennifer and Hunter both graduated from high school a year after I did, I'm pretty sure.  Jennifer played basketball with me, and Hunter played tennis I think.  I never even knew what he was dealing with in high school until I saw a post about them on facebook asking for A+ blood.  I read a couple of Jennifer's posts, and my eyes haven't been dry since. Jennifer and Hunter dated through high school and got married during college.  They have a 5-year old son (his birthday was this week), and 2-year old twins.  WOW.  Hunter has been suffering with a disease called CGD since he was 2-years old, and they recently decided that they would get a bone marrow transplant to cure him.  You can read more about his amazing story and attitude here:  Why is Hunter Getting a Bone Marrow Transplant.  That was about 48 days ago today, and Jennifer has been with him every day since.  She finally went home after 8 weeks of being away from her boys to see them and spend her oldest son's birthday with him.  I just can't even imagine.  Why do such tough things happen to such good people?  It has to be because they can handle it.  But it sucks.  Bad.  So, if you think about it, please say a little prayer for them...or a long one....or several.  I know they'd appreciate it.

So what have we been up to lately?  It seems so shallow to write a post about it knowing what they're going through, so I'll just show you a couple pictures and describe them.

David and I got to go on a date night a couple nights in a row!  What?!  Yes, we were in Abilene and my mom kept RA for us so we could go have fun.  So nice of her!  
(Oh, by the way, today (6/14) is our 5 year anniversary!  What??!)

I worked with my business partner in Abilene to launch the Rodan + Fields products to the folks at the Abilene Country Club over Memorial Day weekend.  It went great!  

RA saw his first turtle up close.  He wasn't into it.  He couldn't figure out why the turtle was so far from the ocean and wanted to take it back there.  He was afraid to get too close.

I saw a couple cute ducklings following their mom on the golf course while I watched David play golf over Memorial Day weekend.  Just a cute pic.  Nothing more.

RA slept the ENTIRE way from Abilene to Waco when we left to head home after Memorial Day weekend.  He's such a sweet kid...ahem, most of the time...and I'm so thankful for him.
(P.S.  I discovered this great app called "A Beautiful Mess" and now I'm obsessed with using it for ALL my pictures.  Please let me know if it becomes annoying or redundant.)

RA got a sleeping back from his Uncle Robert--one just like his!  He had insisted on sleeping in Robert's sleeping bag when we visited he and Allie at their house, so Uncie RaRa got him one, and he loves it!

Well, that's it, folks!  My life is not nearly as important as those people who suffer daily with disease, heartbreak, or anything else that's no fun, but I'm thankful to God that it isn't.  I'm so grateful that I'm blessed with a crazy kid who's healthy, and a husband who's healthy.  

Y'all take care of yourselves and each other.  I'll talk to you later!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment